Saturday, March 30, 2013

Crawfish boil

We were invited by some guys from Thijs' work for a crawfish boil in Houston. As you can imagine this involved a lot of crawfish and in this case also a lot of beer, margaritas and Cajun music!

There were about 300 people there and about 1000 pounds of crawfish! You need a big pan for that! I wish I had added something for scale to this picture but the pan is about 1,5 m high and you could easily put half a cow in there.

When I said to the guy who was 'manning' this monster: 'Quite an impressive pan you have there sir' he was quiet for a minute and then answered, 'thank you ma'am, I have never had a pretty girl compliment me on my pan before!' :)

So how do you distribute crawfish to 300 people at the same time?

Well, you line up a few foldable tables, cover it with some plastic tablecloth and put out lots of kitchen roll. Then you take the crawfish from the pan and put them in a wheelbarrow. Two guys then pick up the wheelbarrow and spread the crawfish along the tables. Dig in!

Then after about 10 minutes the table looks like this

 

No comments: